Description: Elle chats with Ted McDonald, who is a yoga teacher, endurance athlete, fitness trainer and entrepreneur. With over a decade of experience teaching yoga, Ted founded a company called Adventures Yoga Retreats, which takes people on fitness excursions to transform their lives. In addition, Ted is also the designated yoga teacher for the Tour de France BMC racing team. In today’s show, he discusses his journey to adopting a primal lifestyle after finding out, as a self-perceived fit individual, that he was insulin resistant. He hones in on the fundamentals of yoga practice, how many carbs to include in your diet, and the compatibility of endurance training with a primal diet.
Enjoy a special promotion from this episode’s sponsor: DNAFit.com
Click here and enter the code PRIMALBLUEPRINT at checkout for a whopping 30% off your own personal genetic test!
- How Ted was led to the paleo/primal way of living because of insulin resistance. [01:09]
- Should you carb load for an endurance sporting event? [05:24]
- How the surprise of insulin resistance at age 40 was a wake up call. [09:45]
- How an “E Test” can help determine your genetic predisposition to processing carbs. [14:09]
- What’s a primal way to determine your recommended carb intake? [16:16]
- Spanish runner Kílian Jornet Burgada and his record setting time. [22:12]
- Is insulin resistance reversible through carbohydrate management? [26:23]
- How Ted transitioned to a lower carb lifestyle. [30:30]
- Hunger, fat adaptation, and the need for fewer calories. [39:36]
- The importance of medical testing: you may look fine on the outside, but that might not tell the whole story. [43:13]
- A yoga class with a more athletic edge. [50:09]
- You can learn more about Ted’s retreats at Adventureyogaretreats.com. If you’re up for one soon, he has one planned for Machu Picchu on June 6th through the 13th. You can also check out his YouTube Channel and website: 5PointYoga.com.
Selected Links from the Episode:
Adventure Yoga Retreats
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living
BMC Racing Team
FKT (Fastest Known Time)
Kîlian Jornet Burgada
Machu Picchu Retreat
The Blood Code
Why We Get Fat
Get the Primal Blueprint Podcast
- Download Episode #69 here (right click to “Save As”)
- View and subscribe to The Primal Blueprint Podcast on iTunes here and on Stitcher here
- Subscribe to the RSS feed here
Do you have a question you would like answered on a future Primal Blueprint Podcast? Submit a voicemail message by clicking the blue “Submit a Question” button on the right side of the page, or email us!