Description: If there ever was an episode to tune into this year, this is the one. This episode features Dr. David Perlmutter, the Board-Certified Neurologist and Fellow of the American College of Nutrition who has written seven books, including the #1 New York Times Bestseller, Grain Brain, The Surprising Truth About Wheat, Carbs and Sugar—Your Brain’s Silent Killers.
He has published extensively in peer-reviewed scientific journals including Archives of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and The Journal of Applied Nutrition, and is a frequent lecturer at symposia sponsored by such medical institutions as Columbia University, Scripps Institute, New York University, and Harvard University. He also currently serves as Associate Professor at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. His new book, Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain–for Life, was released April 28th and is now a New York Times bestseller.
On today’s show, Eli Rohde and Dr. Perlmutter discuss an exhaustive number of topics relating to our microbiome, including antibiotic use, type II diabetes, neurological disorders, probiotics, fecal transplants and prescription medication. If you ever had questions about the burgeoning science behind gut health, then you cannot miss this episode!
Enjoy a special promotion from this episode’s sponsor: DNAFit.com
Click here and enter the code PRIMALBLUEPRINT at checkout for a whopping 30% off your own personal genetic test!
- Why it’s important to think outside the box [02:39]
- Are cures to many devastating neurological disorders on the horizon? [04:40]
- Why prevention, not necessarily treatment, is key [05:15]
- The role of gut bacteria on brain health [07:29]
- The benefits of a vaginal birth vs. C-section [10:18]
- The impact of bacterial DNA [12:20]
- Bacteria in the atmosphere: a global perspective [14:20]
- The influence of antibiotics on our microbiome [16:20]
- The important of prebiotic fiber [18:20]
- Type II Diabetes and the microbiome connection [21:00]
- The rise of virulent antibiotic-resistant bacteria [25:00]
- Fecal transplants [25:50]
- Probiotics and emotional response [29:15]
- GMO Foods: what’s the problem? [32:00]
- Why is eating and living the paleo way so beneficial? [36:50]
- How do you know if you have the right microbiome balance and diversity? [42:30]
- Acid-blocking drugs and gut bacteria [45:20]
- The bidirectional relationship between diet and the gut biome [46:50]
- What does David eat for optimal health? [51:00]
- The benefits of skipping meals [52:00]
- The importance of good fats and cholesterol [56:15]
- Saturated fat has no related risk to heart disease [59:50]
- Statin use and the microbiome [01:00:00]
- Visit Drperlmutter.com to see a complete list of all the studies mentioned in this episode [01:08:20]
Selected Links from the Episode:
Get the Primal Blueprint Podcast
- Download Episode #70 here (right click to “Save As”)
- View and subscribe to The Primal Blueprint Podcast on iTunes here and on Stitcher here
- Subscribe to the RSS feed here
Do you have a question you would like answered on a future Primal Blueprint Podcast? Submit a voicemail message by clicking the blue “Submit a Question” button on the right side of the page, or email us!