Description: Brad talks about maybe the most important element of a successful endurance program–emphasizing aerobic base building at the proper heart rates. This fast paced narration will give you the straight scoop about how to train aerobically, and help you avoid the egregious mistakes that endurance athletes of all ability levels make when they drift into slightly too difficult intensity zone during workouts – training in the Black Hole! Brad dispenses Dr. Phil Maffetone’s secret formula of “180-age” heart rate training, and details the burnout he experienced early in 2015 by mistakenly training at too elevated of an aerobic heart rate. Get your training straight by listening to this quick, informative podcast!
- What is the big mistake that endurance athletes make? [00:02:36]
- What is the “Black Hole” training zone? What happens when you get into that zone? [00:04:43]
- The maximum aerobic heart rate is the most important concept that you need to carry.[00:06:17]
- Why does Primal Endurance favor Dr. Phil Maffetone’s theory of 180 minus age, and what is it? [00:08:36]
- What happened to Brad when he over-trained by setting his heart rate too high? [00:09:07]
- How does one know they are developing the ability to manage their aerobic system? [00:16:13]
Get the Primal Blueprint Podcast
- Download Episode #103 here (right click to “Save As”)
- View and subscribe to The Primal Blueprint Podcast on iTunes here and on Stitcher here
- Subscribe to the RSS feed here
Do you have a question you would like answered on a future Primal Blueprint Podcast? Submit a voicemail message by clicking the blue “Submit a Question” button on the right side of the page, or email us!