Description: On today’s special show, Mark Sisson and Katy Bowman discuss their exciting joint project, “Don’t Just Sit There,” which is a comprehensive multimedia educational course designed to help people overcome one of the major health hazards of modern life: prolonged sedentary periods that compromise your health at the cellular level. Katy is a biomechanist (someone who studies living structures like the human body), author, and popular blogger at KatySays.com. Her focus is on how movement and variability are the keys to a healthy work environment. It turns out that true movement variability at work requires more than simply transitioning from a sitting to standing position at a standup workstation. And it’s not just about assuming the correct ergonomic positions at your keyboards, either. Anytime you have prolonged stillness, you are putting undesirable “loads” upon your cells that can lead to pain, dysfunction, and disease. This includes your eyes gazing at a computer screen at a fixed distance for hours.
Katy and Mark talk about the many challenges of going dynamic instead of static, and some practical tips to mix things up in your daily routine (within the confines and restrictions of the modern workplace environment, of course). This is a great discussion to acquaint listeners with the Don’t Just Sit There program, which comes complete with a detailed eBook and a series of instructional videos to help you custom-design a dynamic workstation and a workplace pattern of movement and variability. So if you find yourself interested in learning more after today’s podcast, then you’ll want to act fast:
Tomorrow is the LAST DAY to grab the Don’t Just Sit There program for the reduced price of $27!
Plus, if you act now, you’ll receive a whole series of bonus items, which won’t be available past tomorrow evening.
So listen to the podcast, then sign up and get moving!
- What is the problem with sitting and how does it affect your body at the cellular level? [00:17]
- Can sitting affect your bone density? [02:12]
- Why play is important to biomechanics. [04:15]
- Mechanobiology and the physical loads on cells. [06:03]
- All parts of the body are affected. [08:29]
- How dynamic workstations go beyond the basic standup desk. [12:04]
- Some quick fix tips to optimize your mobility at work. [14:23]
- The pitfalls of static positioning. [16:09]
- The benefits of ergonomic chairs. [17:44]
- Sometimes what looks like a solution, isn’t. [18:37]
- Pain desensitization and interrupted body signaling processes. [21:04]
- How to create increased mobility at home, not just at the office. [24:43]
- Tips to break out of old static positioning habits. [26:39]
Selected Links from the Episode:
Don’t Just Sit There
Introducing Don’t Just Sit There
Get the Primal Blueprint Podcast
- Download Episode #83 here (right click to “Save As”)
- View and subscribe to The Primal Blueprint Podcast on iTunes here and on Stitcher here
- Subscribe to the RSS feed here
Do you have a question you would like answered on a future Primal Blueprint Podcast? Submit a voicemail message by clicking the blue “Submit a Question” button on the right side of the page, or email us!