Description: Today’s episode features Women’s Beach Volleyball League legend, fitness icon, actress, author, and social advocate, Gabrielle Reece. Named one of the 20 Most Influential Women in Sports by Women’s Sports & Fitness, Gabby first came into the spotlight for her prolific volleyball career. In 1997, competing with the best global beach volleyball players ever assembled, Gabby’s 4-person team took first place at the first-ever Beach Volleyball World Championships. She continued playing across the next decade until she was five months pregnant in the summer of 2007. Besides her time as a player, Gabby has been featured in feature films, top-rated television shows, and magazines.
As a role model, Gabby has taken the opportunity to advocate healthier eating for future generations. She has an ongoing relationship with the American Heart Association Teaching Gardens, an initiative benefiting needy schools through the planting of organic gardens, by which she speaks to children about the importance of eating healthy and regular exercise (www.takepart/teachinggarden).
During today’s show, host Elle Russ talks to Gabby about a range of issues, spanning diet, pesticide use in Hawaii, raising children (with her husband, and previous guest on the podcast, Laird Hamilton), and ballistic training. This episode is an enthralling inside look at one of the most influential athletes of the last 20 years. So you won’t want to miss it!
- Elle asks about the two books written by Gabrielle. [00:01:26]
- Are there things that Gabrielle used to do in exercise or diet that she doesn’t do anymore? [00:02:30]
- What is HIGHX training and how was it developed? [00:05:18]
- What approach does she use when educating children about healthy eating? [00:11:00]
- How does she guide her children in matters of manners and common sense? [00:13:26]
- Why do we feel like we have something to prove? [00:17:50]
- What is it like for Gabby, an Alpha female, to be married to an Alpha male? [00:24:36]
- Should your spouse be your best friend? [00:32:09]
- Why are women often afraid to be themselves in their relationships? [00:34:55]
- What is happening in Hawaii with the pesticide problem? [00:39:30]
- What is Gabby’s favorite sport right now? [00:44:34]
- What is ballistic training? [00:45:20]
- What is Elliptigo? [00:46:56]
- What is Gabby’s routine for eating? [00:48:00]
Get the Primal Blueprint Podcast
- Download Episode #84 here (right click to “Save As”)
- View and subscribe to The Primal Blueprint Podcast on iTunes here and on Stitcher here
- Subscribe to the RSS feed here
Do you have a question you would like answered on a future Primal Blueprint Podcast? Submit a voicemail message by clicking the blue “Submit a Question” button on the right side of the page, or email us!