Description: Brad Kearns visits with Mark Sisson to discuss the delicate balance between striving for ambitious peak performance goals and pursuing longevity. Sometimes it’s a delicate balance that even the most experienced athletes might screw up by getting a little too ambitious with their performance goals and compromising health in the process. Mark mentions his lifelong athletic, competitive mindset that essentially leaves him with a 62-year-old body and a 21-year-old’s competitive intensity.
Aging gracefully is an important concept to embrace, which will enable you to set appropriate goals and accept an inevitable gradual decline in fitness that comes with chronology. Brad and Mark offer suggestions to recalibrate one’s competitive goals based on age and lifestyle circumstances while covering other interesting topics in this landmark broadcast that will change the way you think about fitness and longevity.
- How do you balance peak performance and longevity if you’re a competitive athlete? [02:30]
- How should you respond to the inevitable decline in performance that happens with age? [4:30]
- The importance of changing fitness goals and perspectives over time. [06:30]
- The cardiac risk factor of endurance training over time. [10:00]
- Should you ever go above 90% of your maximum heart rate? [13:20]
- When should endurance athletics take the sideline to other pursuits? [16:00]
- All things considered, how important is sleep in the equation of avoiding burnout? [20:20]
- What’s the future of the endurance and CrossFit movements? [21:40]
- Why we should avoid extremes. [23:10]
- The importance of knowing what you can get away with. [26:30]
- What’s the best angle the primal movement should use to permeate mainstream culture? [28:20]
- Some of Mark’s concerns about our increasingly digital culture. [30:50]
Get the Primal Blueprint Podcast
- Download Episode #87 here (right click to “Save As”)
- View and subscribe to The Primal Blueprint Podcast on iTunes here and on Stitcher here
- Subscribe to the RSS feed here
Do you have a question you would like answered on a future Primal Blueprint Podcast? Submit a voicemail message by clicking the blue “Submit a Question” button on the right side of the page, or email us!